Folk Art/George Washington Folk Art Painting

GW Front
GW Front  

GW Back
GW Back  
Hi - I recently acquired this oil painting of General George Washington (although it says Geo Wathington) on a very old type of plywood. There are chains attached to this that are very rusted and split. I'm trying to find out anything I can about this in terms of age, history, artist, value, or anything else of interest. Thanks for your help.- Jeff

Jeff, I honestly can't tell from you pictures weather or not itis actually old.

My gut tells me that it is not or at least not real old and certainly not 19th Century or older.

You need to show it to someoe that can actualy examine it first hand.

Those small hole on the back are a bit perplexing.  Makes me think this was painted on a "recycled" board of some sort.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Good Luck.

Folk Art

Over the past 30 years, I have been researching the artist Ferdinand A. Brader and have become a bit of an expert. I can answer most questions regarding the drawings of F.A. Brader also known as Ferdinand A. Brader. Brader was an late 19th Century untrained(?)itinerant Folk Artist who throughout Pennsylvania and Ohio doing large pencil drawings (portraits) of farms and other dwellings and businesses. He worked from around 1876 to 1895. I'd love to hear about any Brader drawings you might have of know about... Check out my blog on Brader: I can also answer questions about Antique Mid-Western Amish Quilts, especially those from the Ohio Amish. In addition, I can answer questions about other types of Antique American Quilts and other types of American Folk Art. Please note. I can only answer questions on AMERICAN items.

I have been a collector and dealer of American antique quilts and American folk art for over 35 years. Recent exhibition of my Ohio Amish quilt collection in Germany and France.

"Antique Ohio Amish Quilts, the Darwin D. Bearley Collection" My bolg on Ferdinand A. Brader:

Bachelor of Fine Arts, Ohio State University and Master of Fine Arts from University of Kentucky

Numerous exhibitions and articles both in the USA and in Europe. Recent publication of "Antique Ohio Amish Quilts, the Darwin D. Bearley Collection"

Numerous collectors and dealers thoughout the US and the world, some quite well known.