Folk Art/Is this considered folk art?

L.E.Mott Painting
L.E.Mott Painting  
Can you please help me identify the history and value this painting which is signed L.E.Mott, I was not able to find a artist by the name L.E.Mott, perhaps you may know who this is and if it originated in Canada or the USA. This picture has been in my family for many years.
Thank You, Richard

Your pictures appears to be either a water color or a reproduction of a water color.
It is not "Folk Art"

I too was unable to locate any information on , "L. Mott"

My guess is the the artist was simply a person who did water colors as a hobby.  However, I could be wrong.  One thing  for sure, this persons art never went through any major auctions or was included in any major museum exhibitions.

You can always contact a few of the major auction houses to see if they have any records of this artist.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Good Luck,

Darwin Bearley  

Folk Art

Over the past 30 years, I have been researching the artist Ferdinand A. Brader and have become a bit of an expert. I can answer most questions regarding the drawings of F.A. Brader also known as Ferdinand A. Brader. Brader was an late 19th Century untrained(?)itinerant Folk Artist who throughout Pennsylvania and Ohio doing large pencil drawings (portraits) of farms and other dwellings and businesses. He worked from around 1876 to 1895. I'd love to hear about any Brader drawings you might have of know about... Check out my blog on Brader: I can also answer questions about Antique Mid-Western Amish Quilts, especially those from the Ohio Amish. In addition, I can answer questions about other types of Antique American Quilts and other types of American Folk Art. Please note. I can only answer questions on AMERICAN items.

I have been a collector and dealer of American antique quilts and American folk art for over 35 years. Recent exhibition of my Ohio Amish quilt collection in Germany and France.

"Antique Ohio Amish Quilts, the Darwin D. Bearley Collection" My bolg on Ferdinand A. Brader:

Bachelor of Fine Arts, Ohio State University and Master of Fine Arts from University of Kentucky

Numerous exhibitions and articles both in the USA and in Europe. Recent publication of "Antique Ohio Amish Quilts, the Darwin D. Bearley Collection"

Numerous collectors and dealers thoughout the US and the world, some quite well known.