Folk Music/When Autumn Leaves Were Falling

Shannon wrote at 2009-03-03 01:00:59
My mother used to sing this song to me as a lullaby.  She used the name "Nita" instead of "Nina".  

I have located a songbook called "On Wings of Song" (copyright 1945) compiled by Marguerite V Hood, Glenn Gildersleeve and Helen Leavitt" that contains it.  The song says, "Spanish Folk Tune" and "English version by Luther Wilde".  It uses the name 'Nita which seems like a shortening of the name Juanita.  The lyrics are:

When the chestnut leaves were falling

'Nita was tending her sheep,

By the brook she saw a gypsy

Looking in the water deep.

Then he raised his eyes to beg her

Give me drink if you will

'Nita made a cup of rushes

And the gypsy drank his fill

When the chestnut leaves were falling

'Nita heard melody float

As the gypsy whistled sweetly

Like a songbird note for note.  

Gail Coburn wrote at 2014-12-12 07:08:41
These are the lyrics that I recall learning as a young girl in grade school.  I would love the find a book that contains this song and the music to it.  

Louise wrote at 2016-08-14 03:15:52
I Googled this just now because I started singing it and could not remember all of the last verse.  In the 1950's  while in elementary school we learned and sang this.  It was in a book which I think had folk songs from various cultures. We also sang "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" and "Tall Papaya Tree", but I am not sure if these songs were all in the same book.  

Folk Music

Mike Turner