Folk Music/reg a question 10-22-08

SylverBean wrote at 2009-02-21 01:00:18
When chestnut leaves were falling

Nina was tending her sheep

by the brook she saw a gypsy looking in the water deep

then he raised his eyes to beg her

give me a drink if you will

Nina made a cup of rushes

and the gypsy drank fill

now when chestnut leaves are falling

Nina hears melody float

for the gypsy whistles like a song bird

note for note for note

Patty Rasmussen wrote at 2010-07-01 20:32:49
Looking in the water deep.  Then he raised his eyes and begged her, give me a drink if you will.  Nina filled a cup with rushes and the gypsy drank his fill...that's all I remember, it was my favorite song on singing day in 5th Grade at Read School (Miss Lola Hubbard) in Oshkosh, WI

Ben wrote at 2013-10-10 17:34:11
I remember that song.  It was beautiful and had special meaning for me.  As a child, I would sit in the music room and daydream of being by the brook with Nina or Nita.  As an adult I would often try to sing it but could not remember all of the words.  I looked for it for years and could not find it until today.  Where are those old songs and songbooks that I cherished.  

Folk Music

Mike Turner