Folk Music/Mam'selle Marie

Question
I am looking for the lyrics to this song

I believe it is a negro spiritual or written like a negro spiritual.

The first part is:  Mam'selle Marie, I hear the white folks pray
Mam'selle Marie, I hear the white folks say
That she's a blessed damoselle
With power in heaven and earth as well.
Mam'selle Marie

Answer
Dear Marjorie

I'm not sure if you have come to the correct person - as you'll see from my biog, my expertise is in traditional Scottish music and song - which does not cover this genre of music.

That said, this song rings a bell. I think I have looked into this before for someone. And I think this is is the same song. It certainly sounds like a spiritual - and even more of a mother's plea.

If you go on to the music streaming site Spotify, there are 2 instances (on the UK site at any rate) of Paul Robeson singing this. As you may well know, he was a beautiful singer with clear diction, so these are the lyrics I've taken down from that.

That you's a blessed damoselle
With power in heaven and earth as well.
O then, have pity on me, Mam'selle Marie

Mam'selle Marie, I hear them say that you
Mam'selle Marie, have one little baby too
His name's the Petit Jesus Lord
But oh you lose that Lamb of God
Mam'selle Marie

On Spotify search for "Marie Paul Robeson" - the trouble with search ing on sites like that when it some to words like 'Mam'selle' is that they can be spelled in different  ways - ones is spelled Mam'selle, on the other track it shows up as Man'selle!

The albums on Spotify are:
Paul Robeson: The complete EMI sessions 1928-1939
Paul Robeson: The Ultimate Collection

Thank you so much for reminding me about this song. I have now put it into my playlists.

For your information, if you need more information - or think that there may be more verses, try www.mudcat.org - it's a forum where all kinds of traditional music is discussed and there are many instances of lyric requests.

All things good

Kaye  

Folk Music

Kaye McAlpine