Folk Music/Revolutionary Ballad

Question
Hi Kaye,

I'm researching a song called The Grand Conversation Lies Under A Rose. It was allegedly sung by a convict being held on Sarah Island (off the Tasmanian coast) in the 1830s.

I'm working for a television production company producing an Australian documentary-drama about the exploits of convicts on Sarah Island and one such convict named James Porter apparently sang this song while labouring. Have you heard of it and, if so, would you know where I could find a copy of the song so we could hear the tune?

Cheers
Pascal Adolphe
61 2 9797 6325
email:  

Answer
Hi Pascal

For a start, this is definitely not a traditional Scottish  song, so forgive the following, if I seem a little unsure. However, I love a challenge! Apologies in advance if anything here duplicates your own research.

I had a look around the web and it looks like this song generally goes under the title 'Under the Rose' and has references to the American Wars and the Napoleonic Wars: not to be mixed up with the song by the metal band H.I.M. of a similar name!

I've found  the sheet music and the lyrics and have provided the links just to make sure this is the same song.

I found it listed under 'Union Songs'  - here and unionsong.com has a link to an e-book of Australian unions songs in general.

You can find a (slightly dreadful) instrumental version <a href=http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/under-the-rose-p258831.aspx/">here</a>

I always find the best bet for queries such as this is www.mudcat.org - it is a music forum and you have  world-wide access to people who know an awful lot about very different types of music and song.

... and just in case what he was singing was actually The Grand Conversation on Napoleon - the last line which is 'The Grand Conversation on Napoleon arose', you can find that on Spotify - look for Jon Boden's version for a more pleasant option!

I add this as the tunes seem very similar, which can be a good marker for related songs.

The man who is credited for collecting The Grand Conversation Lies Under a Rose' is Alfred Williams and you may find more information in this web archive - http://www.vwml.org/vwml-projects/vwml-the-full-english/vwml-full-english-collec.

The English Folk Dance and Song Society may also be able to help you - http://www.efdss.org/ - and they may be able to pinpoint where the song originated

There is also the Roud Index. This provides information on English traditional songs recorded all over the world and in different media. You can access that via the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library - http://www.vwml.org/ - and you could try contacting them directly if you feel you are floundering.

I wish you well and I hope that some of this may be of use.

All things good

Kaye  

Folk Music

Kaye McAlpine