Food Allergies/Food Allergy?

I recently was Popeyes chicken and my tongue and throat started hurting. Well I don't know if hurting would be correct but it felt as if something was stuck in my throat and I couldn't swallow. I have ate st Popeyes on different occasions but this is the first time I've experienced something like this. I was scared, but I thought at first it was just some food stuck under my tongue so drank some water and continued to eat. The feeling still didnt go away so I felt something was wrong, I stopped eating went to the bathroom looked in my mouth, saw nothing out of the ordinary but I did take some liquid atarax. I was concerned it might be a food allergy. After awhile, the feeling went away and I was able to swallow better and the something stuck in my throat feeling subsided. Could this be a food allergy?

Without appearing frivolous, it's always possible that you did have something stuck in your throat which was cleared spontaneously.

With a single episode it is extremely difficult to say what it was.On the whole, it sounds atypical for allergy. If you first got the symptoms and then went on eating without getting dramatically worse would be unusual in food allergy. And then you have eaten the same product before. You could always ask the supplier if they have changed their recipe. If not, food allergy is very unlikely.

Food Allergies

David Pearson

Any in the field I believe. Only experience of questions that get asked will tell.

I am a retired medical academic from the UK. I have done major research on Food Allergy and have been a government adviser in the area. 30 years experience running an allergy clinic. And undergraduate and post-graduate teaching.

Well, apart from the FRCP, I'm no longer active in the area. I'm too busy writing books. And I no longer have the cash to go to international meetings. But was active in many.

Will 120 scientific papers help? Chapters in books. Patient advisory materials. Magazine articles. TV appearances. Live and recorded. National and international invited lectures, etc. It was my job for 40 years. Do you think I count!

MD, PhD, Postgraduate Diplomas etc. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. etc. But I don't want that put out on the net! Just to let you know!

Too many to count, patients of course and a large number of all sorts of corporate consultancies and considerable work as an expert witness in the Courts. I'm volunteering because your Greek expert has been so helpful, I thought I'd offer something back.