Food Allergies/Red moving spot on childs hard palate

Question
My three year old daughter has has a red spot on her hard palate for about a month. It has increased in size moving across the roof of her mouth. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. She has had asthma since an infant and she has had a runny nose for the past three months. I have taken her back and forth to her doctor and her dentist and they don't seem to have a clue what this spot is. She does take albuterol and pulmicort for the asthma. We have also tried Flonase and prednisone which seemed like it helped a little. My doctor just dismisses it that its nothing serious but it bothers me. I woul like to know what's causing this. Could it be a food allergy? A seasonal allergy? An infection? I am at my wits end because nobody really knows what's going on.

Three weeks ago

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/DCDDEEC9-03EB-4EBC-8F42-629

Last week

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/F4B5254F-EDB7-4A6C-A8F2-DA9

Today

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/DD0BF817-7D02-43C6-8FD5-1B2

Answer
Dear Kim,

The commonest cause of mouth lesions in asthmatics using inhaled steroids is mouth infection by the common yeast Candida albicans. It usually has white areas, which is actually the yeast. It is very easily treated by holding Nystatin suspension in the mouth for as long as possible; Alternatively, amphotericin lozenges. The condition usually arises because very high doses of the steroid impacts on the mouth and larynx and this can cause suppression of the local immune response. Further recurrences are commonly reduced by using a cheap "spacer device" when using inhalers.

If this is not effective I would advise getting the opinion of a dental practitioner with an interest in oral medicine. They are much better at recognising lesions in the mouth than most ordinary doctors (including me).

This is almost certainly not a direct effect of allergy.

Food Allergies

David Pearson