You are here:

Food Allergies/Allergic to rice/potatoes



I'm 26 yrs last 2-3 months i m noticing that whenever i eat rice or potatoes i get rashes allover the body and itching and itching can not bare it, It comes and goes after few hours(5-6) even itching on head as well

Is it some sort of allergy and what i can do for that?
If yes, want the solution because rice is the basic food for me from where i belong

What test i have to do to confirm it is starch allergy?

ANSWER: Firstly, the human body cannot be allergic to starch.
It sounds more probable that you have "Chronic Urticaria". This is not allergic, although it looks like it. Attacks can be made worse by all sorts of stimuli, which can sometimes include meals.
Chronic urticaria usually has itching and the rash is raised as wheals or swelling. Attacks are usually suppressed by a regular non-sedating antihistamine (every day even if there is no current rash). The problem usually settles if the rash is kept under control for 3 months. A few people will non fully suppress the rash on the usual "H1" antihistamine. It will if an "H2" anti-histamine is added. Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you about these medications.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks so much for the quick response

I want to know what is causing this itching and what is the cure?
how do i get ride of this?

Also want to tell you that i have been diagnose with ovarian cyst and got operated with it and removed infected ovary before 1.years So just want to know is it related to that any connection in there?

and to going further for treatment what test i have to do?

Thanks in advance..

The cause of chronic urticaria is not known. It may well be a recent viral infection so mild you never noticed it.
There are no investigations that assist.
The treatment I have already covered.

If you do not understand what I have written, please come back and explain why. From your name I assume you are Indian. English (Indian) sometimes conflicts with English (UK). Who cares who can claim to know which is better. But the differences can lead to miscommunication.

Food Allergies

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Pearson


Any in the field I believe. Only experience of questions that get asked will tell.


I am a retired medical academic from the UK. I have done major research on Food Allergy and have been a government adviser in the area. 30 years experience running an allergy clinic. And undergraduate and post-graduate teaching.

Well, apart from the FRCP, I'm no longer active in the area. I'm too busy writing books. And I no longer have the cash to go to international meetings. But was active in many.

Will 120 scientific papers help? Chapters in books. Patient advisory materials. Magazine articles. TV appearances. Live and recorded. National and international invited lectures, etc. It was my job for 40 years. Do you think I count!

MD, PhD, Postgraduate Diplomas etc. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. etc. But I don't want that put out on the net! Just to let you know!

Awards and Honors

Past/Present Clients
Too many to count, patients of course and a large number of all sorts of corporate consultancies and considerable work as an expert witness in the Courts. I'm volunteering because your Greek expert has been so helpful, I thought I'd offer something back.

©2017 All rights reserved.