Food Allergies/Atopic

Question
Dear doctor

I'm a 25 year old male with a history of allergic disease since childhood I basically have asthma,atopic dermatitis, allergic conjunctivitis, nasal allergies. I am currently on the following meds I take daily seretide 250/50 avamys nasal spray and patanol eye drops, for my skin which is very mild I moisturise daily I sometimes use advantan cream or dermovate. I am allergic to nuts,shellfish, whole wheat, fermented goods
I wouldn't say I am bad but my allergies are only in control with the above meds and at some point I have to use anti histamines and topical or ocular steroids . I fermented goods like yogurt cheese tend to start my symptoms, shellfish is a no go and nuts, if I eat pure whole wheat my skin reacts I'm allergic to brinjal as well other than that I am good. I am wondering if its better for me to go on systemic treatment like azathioprine or cyclosporine for a period

Let me know your thoughts

Answer
My answer to your question is: NO.

You are indeed atopic and have many of the usual features. It is certainly trues that nearly all the features of atopy are related to inflammation, which in younger people is predominantly related to allergic inflammation. In older people, allergy becomes less related to obvious allergy. It is hoped that long-term suppression of inflammation by local long term steroids (nose, lungs and/or skin) will reduce or stop that inflammation and disease and it's progress, with very little risk of systemic side effects.

Most experts in atopy would agree that allergen avoidance is ideal, so long as that it not more potentially dangerous than the amount of medication needed to control symptoms. Malnutrition is a genuine hazard in people avoiding many foods for example. The medications you ask about are both potentially lethal. They both also have a proper place in treating even more lethal diseases. But if your symptoms are not adequately controlled by your current doses of medication, then there is plenty of room for altering it. Either by altering dosages, or by considering the addition of other medications.

If you are unhappy with your present state, I'd go back to discuss it with your usual doctor  

Food Allergies

David Pearson