Food Allergies/Wheat intolerance

Question
Hi there, thanks for reading my question.

From what it seems like, wheat/gluten intolerance seems to be pretty front and centre these days. About two years ago, completely out of the blue, I read that doing an elimination diet could help solve my symptoms. At the time, I would have horrible sinus pain and pressure, plugged and painful ears, dizziness and nausea and even an episode of fainting. After I have up eating wheat, my symptoms went away.

I'm trying to pinpoint my symptoms after consuming wheat. There are times when my symptoms are mild. Other times it is more prominent. I have consumed wheat the last two days, and today I have started feeling my ears become sore and full, my sinuses are starting to hurt and I was dizzy earlier this afternoon.

The other weird thing that happens is my emotions get all out of whack. This is going to sound super strange, but I will say it anyways. I got incredibly emotional over a project I'm working on at my job. I suddenly felt bad for not wanting to do it. This is nothing new, as I will get upset or extra emotional over other things too. I can also get pretty miserable as well. I have to remind myself to keep my emotions in check.

I haven't been officially tested for the intolerance, but I just wanted to see what your thoughts are. I would appreciate any advice you can give. I know that if I do one thing and get a certain result over and over, I should know what to expect. I am just not sure if these symptoms are typical with a wheat intolerance.

Thanks,

L

Answer
Hi L,

Yes, it does sound as if you do have symptoms consistent with wheat intolerance.  When we eat foods we have intolerances to it increases total body inflammation and thus the reason you are feeling congestion which is backing up to your ears.  Wheat intolerance can also cause symptoms such as joint and abdominal pain.  I have not heard of the emotional component but if you are not feeling well I guess emotions can become less stable. I would suggest you have your doctor do an ELISA test on you to determine IgG food intolerances.  Then it will be less of a guessing game for you.  You also may want to look into something called NAET which uses applied kinesiology to detect food intolerances and then the NAET practitioner will apply gentle acupressure to your back while you hold onto the problematic food. This seems to attenuate food allergies.  

Good luck.

Judith Lukaszuk, PhD, RD, LDN  

Food Allergies

Judith Lukaszuk