Food Allergies/allergy

Question
Hi, I was wondering if you ever see a connection between seasonal nasal allergies and bloating for children. I have a almost 4 year old who recently had an allergy flair up, from smelling some flowers outside. This was the first time that we definatley figured out she had nasal allergies to pollen, etc. This was Thursday. On Saturday, I noticed bloating in the stomach and very firm. She also experiences slight diarrhea, but very very little, almost unnoticeable. She also had on one occasion stated she need to go to the bathroom for "poop" and said she did, however there was nothing in there.

She just went to her doctor who felt her stomach and examined her and found nothing. It seemed odd that this both happened the same time as the flair up. I am starting some Claritin daily.

I was wondering if there is any connection? She does not have pain, but is very very stuffy, looks bloated, and I feel she is eating slightly less. Never saw any of this before. This is not her normal.

Can you give some advice?
Thanks

Answer
Well, first of all, it depends on the type of flower your child sniffed! People are rarely allergic to the pollen of nice coloured flowers with nice smells. Such flowers have pollen designed to stick to the rear end of bee's. As such they are vastly bigger and heavier than the pollen of wind-pollinated trees and grasses. They are just too big to actually get up your nose.

I am dubious, but cannot be certain, that these two "Reactions" are more or less independent. Apart that is, that a child who gets any type of allergic reaction, is automatically at risk of developing other allergies (E.g. New food allergies for example). I would treat this situation "Expectantly". In other words - wait and see. I would not think that there is any current imperative to treat or investigate this further at the present time. Because: 1) Allergies at this age come and go, and for no obvious reasons. It's just the gradual evolution of the protective immune response. Do allergy tests today and they could well be quite different next month. 2) From what you describe, I doubt most doctors would treat this with anything other than mild suppressive medicines like Clarityn. Things would obviously be different if she became more regularly or more severely affected.

There is one scenario that could link nasal allergy to bowel symptoms. It would be most uncommon and I only think it worth taking further if these symptoms become recurrent. 75% of children with bowel symptoms related to allergy will grow out of it before age 7.
You are welcome to get back to me if this does not help your concerns.

Food Allergies

David Pearson