Food Allergies/Yeast?

Hi David
I am 55, in general good health, but have been trying to whittle down the reasons for my bloating, nasal congestion and sneezing, and weight gain, in spite of a healthy diet and very active lifestyle.
I dont think its gluten, as my symptoms arent that serious, but I think it could be yeast?
I have always loved bread and beer and cheese,, coming from a French/German family tht owned a bakery!
When I have cereal for breakfast instead of toast all week, usually in the summer, and a glass of wine or two on the weekends,my belly shrinks a bit and I feel a
bit better overall.
I also feel better on a low carb diet, but that is hard to maintain and I think not healthy.
My brother says that the yeast in bread and beer and cheese is 'dead', so it cant be that.
What do you thinK?
Thanks for the help!

The following is based on the assumption that your symptoms are quite new and that you have never had any of these until recently.

1. Nasal congestion and sneezing are suggestive of allergy. But this is far more likely to be related to something inhaled than food allergy. If it is seasonal rather than all year round, then the pattern will indicate the trigger. If all year round, then the most likely agent is house-dust mites. followed by some occupational exposure.

2. Weight gain is NOT a feature of food allergy. However, some dishonest outfits have made published claims that it actually is; and offered expensive and disproven diagnostic techniques to sell, which supposedly tell you what the offending agents are. Commonly they identify what are so many foods to avoid that people do lose weight because of dietary deficiencies. Avoid such dishonest claims like the plague. With the exception of some very specific syndromes which you obviously do not have, true food allergy does not suddenly appear after childhood.

3. Very few medical conditions cause weight gain and the one which is likely to be relevant to you is thyroid dysfunction.  This is easily excluded by a simple thyroid blood test. But if you have not had a standard medical, which would obviously include checking the usual blood tests of liver and kidney function, you should have one. Only start to consider food allergy as a possible (and unlikely) cause of your problems if all standard other alternatives are negative.

4. Abdominal bloating is a very complex situation. It occurs very commonly with no identifiable medical cause. However, it's new onset in someone your age should involve standard gastro-intestinal investigations to exclude early gut cancer. That is very common and early detection often results in a complete cure and no reduction in life expectancy.
However, there are 3 separate patterns of bloating: Bloating with no change in bowel habit. Bloating with associated predominant constipation; boating with predominant diarrhoea; and bloating with alternating constipation and diarrhoea. The last is typical of "Irritable Bowel Syndrome - IBS". Lethargy is a symptom commonly associated with IBS.

5. I would advise returning to your previous diet. Get proper investigation as above. Get back to me if you still have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Food Allergies

David Pearson

Any in the field I believe. Only experience of questions that get asked will tell.

I am a retired medical academic from the UK. I have done major research on Food Allergy and have been a government adviser in the area. 30 years experience running an allergy clinic. And undergraduate and post-graduate teaching.

Well, apart from the FRCP, I'm no longer active in the area. I'm too busy writing books. And I no longer have the cash to go to international meetings. But was active in many.

Will 120 scientific papers help? Chapters in books. Patient advisory materials. Magazine articles. TV appearances. Live and recorded. National and international invited lectures, etc. It was my job for 40 years. Do you think I count!

MD, PhD, Postgraduate Diplomas etc. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. etc. But I don't want that put out on the net! Just to let you know!

Too many to count, patients of course and a large number of all sorts of corporate consultancies and considerable work as an expert witness in the Courts. I'm volunteering because your Greek expert has been so helpful, I thought I'd offer something back.