Food Allergies/Candida?

I am male, 55. My wife always thought I was allergic to beer, maybe the yeast or hops. I would get a runny nose, itching, etc.I have stopped drinking it, but just before I gave it up, I had way too many one day, and my belly blew up like a balloon, and has barely gone down.
With the other symptoms I have, I think it might be candida, or a male intestinal yeast infection?
What do you think? Thanks!

Beware! There is a huge amount of total bullshit about Candida in all the popular press. Yes, it is a very common cause of annoying mild vaginal discharge in women. Yes, their sexual partners can get a local penile infection related to that. And most certainly in anyone with significant immunodeficiciency (e.g. HIV infection), it can be a killer. But ignore 95% of the rest.

Fact. Allergic reactions to Candida and other moulds and yeasts most cetainly occur. But these are entirely species-specific (I know a lot about this because I was put into anaphylactic shock on the first day of my PhD in Immunology by an injection of Candida extract!). Allergic reactions to yeast in beer never occur to the best of my knowledge, but reactions to other yeasts/moulds are quite common individually, but there are no cross reactions between them. Allergy to one has absolutely no predictive value against you reacting to any other.

The chances of you having a candida-related problem are close to zero in my opinion. I advise seeking the opinion of a family-practitioner or a gastro-enterologist for your new symptom of bloating before going down the alternative medicine route.  

Food Allergies

David Pearson

Any in the field I believe. Only experience of questions that get asked will tell.

I am a retired medical academic from the UK. I have done major research on Food Allergy and have been a government adviser in the area. 30 years experience running an allergy clinic. And undergraduate and post-graduate teaching.

Well, apart from the FRCP, I'm no longer active in the area. I'm too busy writing books. And I no longer have the cash to go to international meetings. But was active in many.

Will 120 scientific papers help? Chapters in books. Patient advisory materials. Magazine articles. TV appearances. Live and recorded. National and international invited lectures, etc. It was my job for 40 years. Do you think I count!

MD, PhD, Postgraduate Diplomas etc. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. etc. But I don't want that put out on the net! Just to let you know!

Too many to count, patients of course and a large number of all sorts of corporate consultancies and considerable work as an expert witness in the Courts. I'm volunteering because your Greek expert has been so helpful, I thought I'd offer something back.