Food Allergies/Gluten

I was very sick about 3 years ago and they found gastroparisis and said I was also Celiac so I can't eat flour.  I have been well since then and thought I would try some cookies to see if it made me sick vomiting or diarrhea.  I ate 5 or 6 sugar cookies.   I did not get sick but this afternoon I got so overwhelmingly tired I slept 6 hours.  This is not like me but I remember early in the sickness I was very tired.
   Do you think there is a connection?  What do you think is going on?

Dear Don,

From what you tell me, the doctor who diagnosed you as celiac is grossly incompetent. You need to find a competent doctor. By the medical ethics that most of us adhere to, I therefore have a duty to enable you to get proper medical care.

Of course what you describe is totally related to celiac disease. If that is indeed what you have.

Write again. If you wish, mark it as "Private". Give me your full medical history. Your family history as well. Any illnesses or problems as a child? What were the symptoms that first took you to a doctor?

What investigations have you had? Their results? Have you had a small bowel biopsy? It is impossible to diagnose celiac disease without. What specific advice have you received about diet in coeliac disease? Have you been sent to a professional dietician. If not, why not?

Take as long as you like to give me every last scrap of information.

I feel strongly about this. You can have as much of my time as it needs so that this wrong is undone.

Regards, David

Food Allergies

David Pearson

Any in the field I believe. Only experience of questions that get asked will tell.

I am a retired medical academic from the UK. I have done major research on Food Allergy and have been a government adviser in the area. 30 years experience running an allergy clinic. And undergraduate and post-graduate teaching.

Well, apart from the FRCP, I'm no longer active in the area. I'm too busy writing books. And I no longer have the cash to go to international meetings. But was active in many.

Will 120 scientific papers help? Chapters in books. Patient advisory materials. Magazine articles. TV appearances. Live and recorded. National and international invited lectures, etc. It was my job for 40 years. Do you think I count!

MD, PhD, Postgraduate Diplomas etc. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. etc. But I don't want that put out on the net! Just to let you know!

Too many to count, patients of course and a large number of all sorts of corporate consultancies and considerable work as an expert witness in the Courts. I'm volunteering because your Greek expert has been so helpful, I thought I'd offer something back.