Food Allergies/Alcohol

As I get older (I am in my 50's) I am noticing unpleasant reactions to alcoholic beveredges, based on the strength of the alcohol content.
I can have a light beer, even several-no problem, but a couple regular strength ones, I get a stuffy nose and headache, nausea, and now goosebumps. Feels like I am coming down with the flu for a while. This happens also with hard liquor but not wine. Is this common?  Is it age related? Could it be a symptom of something more serious? If anything, it has caused me to reduce my alcohol consumption. Thanks, have a nice summer.

As we get older our body stores more toxins. The toxic burden can make your ability to tolerate foods less.  It also could be that if you are eating genetically modified ingredients like corn, soy, canola or cottonseed you now have a leaky gut.  It seems like you have problems with grains based on the reaction you described. Do you notice these symptoms when you eat bread too.  You could benefit from eliminating genetically modified foods. See Jeffrey Smith website for more information on GMO's.  Also look up a NAET professional in your area. If you get treated with NAET you can resume your alcohol intake and be once again symptom free and feeling great.  

Food Allergies

Judith Lukaszuk

I can answer questions related to nutrition, food allergies and food sensitivities, how to identify and avoid genetically modified ingredients, leaky gut, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, gluten intolerance or celiac disease, autism spectrum disorder, ADD, ADHD, vitamin and mineral supplements, sports nutrition, diet, exercise and I specialize in a technique called "NAET" which involves muscle testing people for food allergies and then applying acupressure to the spine to attenuate food or environmental allergies.

I have been teaching nutrition in a University setting for the past 20 years. I have been practicing NAET since Summer, 2012.

Lukaszuk JM, Prawitz AD, Shokrani M, Umoren J, Norman E. Methylmalonic acid levels in non-elderly adult chronic PPI users. Journal of Human Nutrition and Food Sciences. In Press. Stark M, Lukaszuk J, Prawitz A, Salacinski A. Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2012;9:54. Lukaszuk J, Prawitz A, Johnson K, Umoren J, Bugno TJ. Development of a Noninvasive Vitamin D Screening Tool. Family &Consumer Sciences Research Journal. 2012;40:229-240. Lukaszuk JM, Schultz TM, Prawitz AD, Hofmann E. Effect of R-Alpha Lipoic Acid on HgbA1c, Lipids and Blood Pressure in Type-2 Diabetics: A Preliminary Study. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine. 2009;6:1-14. Lukaszuk JM, Luebbers P, Gordon BA. Preliminary Study: Soy Milk as Effective as Skim Milk in Promoting Weight Loss. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2007;107:1811-1814. Lukaszuk JM, Robertson RJ, Arch JE, Moyna NM. Effect Of A Defined Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian Diet and Oral Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation On Plasma Creatine concentration. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2005;19:735-740. Lukaszuk JM, Robertson RJ, Arch JE, Moore GE, Yaw KM, Kelley DE, Rubin JT, Moyna NM. Effect of Creatine Supplementation and a Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian Diet on Muscle Creatine Concentration. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2002;12:336-348.

Ph.D. Exercise Physiology from the University of Pittsburgh M.S. Master of Science in Nutrition from the University of Pittsburgh B.S. Coordinate Program in Dietetics with a Bachelor of Science degree from Seton Hill College in Greensburg, PA R.D. Registered Dietitian through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Commission on Dietetic Registration LDN. License Dietitian and Nutritionist in the State of IL F.I.A.M.A. Fellow of the International Academy of Medical Acupuncture Certified NAET practitioner