Food Allergies/Cheese with mold
trixie78 wrote at 2008-06-09 07:56:39
I am allergic to molds. I am allergic to penicillin because of that, and through time I've found that I can't eat Blue Cheese, Roquefort, or Gorgonzola. I now stay away from any cheese with a mold injected in it (or a blue or green vein running through it). I would suggest that you either go and get tested by an allergist, or be careful with your cheeses. Taste a tiny bite and wait a while, depending on your reaction to mold. Talk to your doctor before doing this.
MegaSween wrote at 2009-07-02 05:56:00
I know I am allergic to mold in some cheese, and i too am looking for the answer to this question. I know I can have mozzarella cheese, this means pizza from domino's, and papa johns but not Pizza Hut.
arbi wrote at 2009-09-12 14:00:18
I am doing other research about my mold allergy and stumbled on your question. I have known about my mold allergy for many years, but was always under the impression that just not breathing mold was the answer. My new doctor gave me the mold free diet sheet and cheese was the number one culprit... among many. I fought it... Cheese was a staple for me. But I got tired of being sick and being on allergy meds so for a month I didn't have ANY cheese at all... and all my symptons went away. Today, I eat no cheese, and am on no meds and am HEALTHY. I still miss cheese and try to eat it from time to time, but always pay for it. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Hope this helps...
sasha wrote at 2010-01-28 07:56:57
I have a mold allergy that triggers my asthma along with hayfever. I've also had anaphylactic reactions to blue vein cheese although my only reaction to penicillin was a mild one as a child over 30 years ago.I now carry an epi pen everywhere. Apparently I am one of the rare people who reacts to blue cheese like this. I am not allergic to other cheeses.
Barb H. wrote at 2010-04-04 13:38:21
No Mary, You are not going in the wrong direction with this. Mold allergies do encompass seasonal allergies as well as some types of food. Some cheeses, any food cultured(cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.) or fermented, vinegar as well. My son has a mold allergy, and I'm trying to find out exactly what cheeses he can eat. I'm still looking. Good luck, if I find any more info. on this I will post it!
Wife of the Mold Whisperer wrote at 2010-05-21 17:45:48
Unfortunately, the first answer was not entirely correct. My husband was recently diagnosed with a severe allergy to mold which is tied into his allergy to Penicillin (had as a child). We first detected this at the age of 32 when he began having moderate to severe allergic reactions after eating aged cheeses. After much time spent analyzing various foods he'd eaten, and doing some online research, we came to the conclusion that certain foods that contain 'bacterial culture' is the same bacteria found in penicillin. We not only have to completely avoid all aged cheeses which includes goat cheese, sour cream, Parmesan, etc..., but any packed or pre made items in the grocery store such as salad dressings or any other type of dressing or mix that might contain the same bacterial culture or even trace amounts of the items listed above. He was seen by an allergist and this was all fully diagnosed and he was prescribed an epi pen, as well as a medic alert bracelet as the reactions are now becoming more and more severe and intense. The last reaction was from coming into contact with trace amounts of Parmesan that had been eaten by the previous client at a table we were seated at in a local restaurant. It is to the point were we have to avoid even the finest Italian restaurants altogether! And the icing on the cake?? my husband is a CHEF!
I hope this info has been helpful to you Mary -- best of luck!
monetdoll wrote at 2011-05-14 10:07:46
I had a severe anaphylactic reaction to penicillin when I was 12. This was to an ingested penicillin tablet, not injected. In my early 20's, while working in an old building, I began having increasing incidents of asthma (which I had never had before#. It finally got to the point where I missed 2 weeks of work PER MONTH for nine straight months. After getting disgusted with the doctor who was treating me with albuterol and prednisone #worked up to a dosage of 80 mg per day for almost a year and gained over 100 lbs in the process), I went to a teaching hospital. I was finally referred to an allergist who did a RAST test which showed a propensity to severe allergies and then extensive allergy testing. The worst reactions were to mold, mildew, and cockroaches. The doctors sent a pair of young doctors, with my permission, to my home and office to search for any causes of my sudden and severe asthma. The doctors found minor mold in my bathroom and in potted plants, but said this was normal. When they arrived to my office; however, the first thing they noticed was the "lovely" ceramic tile walls in my file cabinet area and the metal caps in the walls. One of them started sneezing soon after arriving in my office and so they both donned masks (all of this was told to me by my boss afterward their visit.) They asked my boss if they could remove a sample of my carpet and check the air conditioner in my office. The air conditioner was apparently very moldy and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. However, when they lifted up the carpet, they discovered a beige ceramic tile floor that had turned almost completely black with mold. Needless to say, my boss arranged for a "contained clean up", but had my office moved to another building that was newer and had no ceramic tile anywhere. It turned out that my office was one the large shower in a girl's cottage-style dormitory. When it was converted into an office, they just carpeted over the floors, not even bothering to cap off the open floor drains. Needless to say, every time it rained and the pipes (because they were old and leaky and no one bothered to check them because they were no longer used) were partially filled with water, it caused mold to grow.
Anyway, the doctors told me that your allergies are also worsened by lifetime exposure to certain agents (such as mold). Now, I have to be very careful if eating certain cheeses (aged Swiss and bleu cheese especially), fermented foods (such as alcoholic beverages and fermented tofu or tempeh), and even meats. I try to choose organic meats after having a pretty serious reaction to a wonderful rare filet mignon (was so good it was ALMOST worth the reaction). When I spoke with the owner of the restaurant (a friend), he said that he liked to be able to offer his customers steaks the way they liked them (even extra rare). So, he buys his beef locally and only buys "freshly slaughtered beef". He called the farm manager and, sure enough, they always inject their cattle with penicillin shortly before they are to go to slaughter. Since their farm specializes in serving local restaurants and butchers, he usually slaughters the animals to order (meaning they are injected sometimes on the day before they are slaughtered). This means there is no time for the body to get rid of the penicillin. Needless to say, I cook my beef at home now, also. This is common practice in the dairy and meat industries and penicillin, being the least expensive of the multispectrum antibiotics, is the drug of choice. I have heard that this practice is being examined by the FDA because of the number of people with penicillin allergy.
My allergist says that, for me, mold is mold and I need to avoid it. Perhaps it is the same for your husband.
lauracw22706 wrote at 2011-08-14 03:32:28
I would suggest getting tested for an allergy to cheese molds, especially if you are allergic to penicillin. While it IS RARE to have a bleu cheese allergy when you are not allergic to cheese, even if you are allergic to penicillin, there are those of us who are allergic to penicillin and have a SEVERE allergic reaction to cheese mold.
mdt wrote at 2015-10-23 19:07:46
Someone, like me, who is allergic to penicillin CAN have an allergic reaction, a SEVERE going to the ER reaction to Blue Cheese...now own an epi-pen...be careful !
Cici wrote at 2016-07-25 19:05:30
I, too, have mold-related allergies. First issues were as a pre-teen due to mold and mildew in a household basement (in a very cold, snow covered area of the country).
Due to my mother's allergy to Penicillin, never took it as a kid. Had a reaction to injected Penicillin given in the ER - severe rash and itchiness over entire body.
Subsequently developed allergies (rosacea, nasal congestion, chest congestion) to highly aged cheeses (e.g., Manchego, Blue, Ultra-Aged Cheddar) which, over the course of several years, 'snuck' down the chain to include all hard cheeses.
I can now tolerate fresh cheeses (e.g., Mexican same day cheese, Oaxaca, fresh Mozzarella (I make my own) and soft goat cheeses). I also find taking an extra dose (or two) of pro-biotics when I want to 'cheat' helps significantly.