Food Engineering/Manufacturing/fondant


QUESTION: Dear Mr J. Peter Clark
Im interested to know the proses and recipe on making commercial fondant ( product to cover cakes, make figurines, flowers etc)
What kind of machinery its need it.
Thanking you for your time and consideration
best regards

ANSWER: Some fondant manufacturing equipment suppliers are:
Baker Perkins
Bosch Confectionery
Hosokawa Bepex GmbH
Sollich KG
The Tanis Group

Fondant is a 50 % suspension of tiny sugar crystals in sugar syrup. A typical recipe is: sucrose 95 %, invert sugar 0 - 5 % of total sugars, corn syrup solids 0 - 5 % , moisture 10 %. The syrup is boiled to concentrate, then cooled and beaten for about 15 minutes. Boil until temperature is 235 - 240 F. Beating is hard to do by hand, so the equipment is designed to do the agitation. On a small scale one might use a sturdy standing mixer.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Dear Mr J. Peter Clark
Thank for your answer, which is very helpful; i have  a recipe but i don't know the amount of the materials or how much should i use.Your expert help its greatly appreciated.
Do you know any equipment manufacture for fondant in Asia or to be precise in Indonesia.
Here is the recipe: Sugar, Glucose, Water, Vegetable Fats & Oils, Maize Starch, Vegetable Gum (413), Flavour, Colour (171), Preservative (202), Food Acid (260), Antioxidant (306, 320
best regards

What you have is a list of ingredients, not a recipe. I previously gave you a general recipe, with fewer ingredients. If you search on the Internet "fondant recipe" you will get many cooking-type recipes for fondant used as cake icing or decorating. From these you can confirm that the general formula I previously provided is accurate. To find specific amounts from a formula, decide on the total amount desired, then multiply by per cent divided by 100. One simple formula starts with 76 % sugar, 19 % water and 5 % corn syrup (mostly glucose). After boiling, some water is lost so if one starts with 1 kg total, you would finish with about 900 grams. You would start with 760 grams of sugar, 190 grams of water and 50 grams of corn syrup.

The other ingredients you list are there to provide flavor, color and preserve the product and are all used in small quantities. They are listed with Codex numbers, which can be deciphered by searching for each.

Gum 413 is gum tragacanth; color 171 is titanium dioxide (a white pigment); preservative 202 is potassium sorbate (used maximum 0.1 % in the USA); acid 260 is acetic acid (found in vinegar); antioxidant 306 is tocopherol concentrate, antioxidant 320 is butylated hydroxy-anisole or BHA (banned in Japan). Depending on your scale of operation, it may be hard to obtain some of these in small quantities. Determining how much oil, starch or other ingredient to use is largely a matter of trial and error. Specialized candy or baking cook books may provide more detail. Real commercial formulas are typically proprietary, maintained as trade secrets and developed at some expense. Depending on your intentions, a generic formula without added flavor and preservatives, such as the simple one above, may be adequate. I advocate keeping things simple if possible.

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


J. Peter Clark


How various processed foods are made; ways to improve manufacturing; how to make a new food product.


Employment history: Research Engineer, U.S.Agricultural Research Service, Associate Professor Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Director of Research, Continental Baking Company, President, Epstein Process Engineering, Inc., Vice Presdent Technology, Fluor Daniel, Inc., Consultant to the Process Industries

Organizations: American Institute of Chemical Engineers (Fellow) Institute of Food Technologists, American Association of Cereal Chemists, American Association of Candy Technologists, American Society of Agricultural Engineers,

Publications: Several Encyclopedias (Kirk and Othmer, Chemical Technology; Food Science, Food Technology and Nutrition; Wiley Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology; Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems); five books, two book chapters; numerous journals.

Education: BSChE Notre Dame PhD University of California, Berkeley

Awards: AIChE Food, Pharmaceutical and Bioengineering Division Award 1998

Clients: Major food processing and pharamaceutical companies.

©2017 All rights reserved.