Food Engineering/Manufacturing/garlic paste

Question
hello, I have a question about garlic paste (minced garlic paste production) as I noticed on labels, most of this kind of product contain only garlic and citric acid, sometimes it is pasteurized in other cases not.
I would like to produce garlic paste from chinese garlic which have been kept in cold stores.
How can I prevent greening garlic paste? I don't want to use any preservatives if  it is not necessary.

Answer
Brygida,

Some garlic turns green when it is cut or crushed, releasing enzymes, and the pH is lowered by adding acid. It is necessary to lower the pH to prevent botulinum toxin from forming, which would otherwise possibly occur in crushed garlic. Heating the paste should inactivate the enzymes. It also has been said that storing garlic above 23 C for several weeks may prevent greening in varieties that are prone to do so. Chinese garlic is typically stored cold. Unfortunately, storing garlic under warmer conditions may promote sprouting, which is otherwise harmless, but also produces a different source of green color. Rapidly immersing crushed garlic in a liquid prevents oxidation, which may also cause color development. The liquid could be water, oil or vinegar. Probably the best approach for you is to crush into a hot solution of citric acid, then drain or filter for packing. The garlic will get heated, pick up some moisture and, possibly, lose some solubles, but it should produce a white paste that is also safe.

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

J. Peter Clark