Food Engineering/Manufacturing/How to get 100% Potassium Sorbate concentration?

In one of your answers for mass productions of hummus, you have mentioned the use of Sodium benzoate and/or potassium sorbate at levels of 0.1 % or less, to prevent mold and yeasts from spoiling foods.  Given that both preservatives come in solid Crystal form, how should we add it to the hummus at say 0.1%? So the real question is how should I dilute the PS with water to get 100% potassium sorbate in liquid form? I know this might not be the smartest question but I really having hard time to solve it. Thanks for your answer.

You should be able to simply add the dry preservatives to the hummus and have it dissolve in the free water in the product. If you can heat it, that will help. If the dry solids seem large, you can grind them to make smaller particles, which will dissolve faster. You do not need to dissolve the preservatives in water. If the formula calls for water, you could do that, but I do not think hummus normally needs added water.  

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

J. Peter Clark

How various processed foods are made; ways to improve manufacturing; how to make a new food product.

Employment history: Research Engineer, U.S.Agricultural Research Service, Associate Professor Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Director of Research, Continental Baking Company, President, Epstein Process Engineering, Inc., Vice Presdent Technology, Fluor Daniel, Inc., Consultant to the Process Industries

Organizations: American Institute of Chemical Engineers (Fellow) Institute of Food Technologists, American Association of Cereal Chemists, American Association of Candy Technologists, American Society of Agricultural Engineers,

Publications: Several Encyclopedias (Kirk and Othmer, Chemical Technology; Food Science, Food Technology and Nutrition; Wiley Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology; Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems); five books, two book chapters; numerous journals.

Education: BSChE Notre Dame PhD University of California, Berkeley

Awards: AIChE Food, Pharmaceutical and Bioengineering Division Award 1998

Clients: Major food processing and pharamaceutical companies.