Food Engineering/Manufacturing/oxidation in hot sauce

Hello. Is sodium bisulfate safe to prevent oxidation and preserve color and flavor in habanero pepper sauce bottle in glass? If so how much should I use for a 120 lb of solids.

Thank you!

I think you mean sodium bisulfite, which is commonly added to chili sauces and other foods as an anti-oxidant. A common usage is 0.1 %, though it is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) and so has no regulatory limit. However, some people are sensitive to it and it can contribute a distinctive flavor if used in excess. I'll assume that solids make up about 20 % of your sauce - you should correct if that is not right. Then 120 lb of solids would make 600 lb of sauce (120/0.2) At 0.1 %, you would use 0.6 lb of dry sodium bisulfite. Some people dissolve the sodium bisulfite in water first to make a 40 % solution. Then you would add 1.5 lb of such solution (0.6/0.4).  

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

J. Peter Clark

How various processed foods are made; ways to improve manufacturing; how to make a new food product.

Employment history: Research Engineer, U.S.Agricultural Research Service, Associate Professor Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Director of Research, Continental Baking Company, President, Epstein Process Engineering, Inc., Vice Presdent Technology, Fluor Daniel, Inc., Consultant to the Process Industries

Organizations: American Institute of Chemical Engineers (Fellow) Institute of Food Technologists, American Association of Cereal Chemists, American Association of Candy Technologists, American Society of Agricultural Engineers,

Publications: Several Encyclopedias (Kirk and Othmer, Chemical Technology; Food Science, Food Technology and Nutrition; Wiley Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology; Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems); five books, two book chapters; numerous journals.

Education: BSChE Notre Dame PhD University of California, Berkeley

Awards: AIChE Food, Pharmaceutical and Bioengineering Division Award 1998

Clients: Major food processing and pharamaceutical companies.