Food Engineering/Manufacturing/The effects of Hot Filling vs. Flash Pasteurization on Nutrients/Taste in Juice

Hi Jim,

Can you offer any insight on how different hot filling a pure fruit juice versus flash pasteurizing and aseptically filling the same juice is in terms of nutrient and taste retention? Is it dependent on the type of fruit juice? Is there a rule of thumb here? The goal is to extend shelf life without destroying nutritional value.

Juice made from fruit pulp (puree) already suffers from the fact that the pulp has already been pasteurized so a completely non-pasteurized product isn't feasible (for my project) anyway. Will this extra step of pasteurization at the juice filling level be even more detrimental or has the damage (if any) been done?

I thank you in advance for your answer.

First, you probably know that ANY additional heat treating emperils both color and taste.  Citrus, btw, seems to be one of the most vulnerable to that.

To answer your question: "Yes" ... but ... the degree can only be determined by testing. Its possible that the re-infection may not require so severe a kill, but nobody knows that without test.  Most HTST equipment suppliers have facilities, so I'd recommend sending them a drum of pulp or juice so they can run it for you.  

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim Pfister

Food Engineering/Manufacturing, Food Packaging/Distribution, Engineering Beverage Lines, Reducing operating cost of packaging lines while increasing efficiency. Lean Manufacturing. Incorporating new package technology into existing operations. Training staff to achieve smooth transition from "start-up" to full production. Managing complex projects across multi-disciplinary lines. Equipment PreShipment Factory Acceptance testing and Commissioning programs for new equipment.

Employment history: Over thirty-five years of experience. Managed as much as $40MM in concurrent, multi-disciplinary projects, both domestic and international, and have worked with such firms as Campbell Soup, Coca-Cola, Hershey`s, and Nabisco.

Organizations: An author and speaker, as well as a member of the IoPP. Past Chairman of IoPP`s Consultant`s Council and Member of the Packaging Equipment Performance Committee.

Publications: PMMI Solutions `99, Monthly Packaging Tipsheets