Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Iced tea with condensed milk

iced tea
iced tea  

My name is Jack Watson and I run a home-based business producing and bottling iced tea, to sell to local delis. The product contains water, tea, and sweetened condensed milk. After a day or two of sitting still in the chiller, a milky ring forms on the surface around the neck of the bottle. It's semi-solid and dissolves with a shake of the bottle, but we're aware it is putting some customers off trying the drink.

Do you know what could be causing this? Are there any natural ingredients I can add to the drink to prevent this separation? We are looking for investment to move to a factory setting, so if you could suggest any solutions that are scalable, that would be great.

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind regards,

ANSWER: Hello Jack

This seems lie a process/packaging issue and I need to know more about how you are making/packaging the product so I can provide a solution for it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Thank you for your reply.

I am currently using a brewing machine to make the tea. This boils the water then runs it through the loose tea leaves, through a filter and out of the spout. The hot tea is collected in a large jug which contains the condensed milk. The tea and condensed milk is stirred to mix the ingredients, then the product is poured into 250ml glass bottles. At this point the tea is around 80 degrees C, and 6.5 on the ph. The lids are screwed on and the bottles are turned upside down for 10 sec to sterilize. The bottles are then labelled and refrigerated. They currently last 7 days before spoiling, and the milky ring appears after 24 hours.

I hope this is enough information. Thank you once again for your time.

Kind regards,

Hello Jack

after reading your process and packaging I can tell you that you need to homogonize the mixture after adding to the milk so that you form a uniform mix the milk particles are too large than water and therefore the milk separates and forms the ring.

The way to process beverages with milk is to use retort(High temperature/High pressure)the package to get a stable beverage.

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

All processing and packaging related questions

Have worked with all possibile processing and packaging systems used in food industry. I have over 30 years experience related to Food and Beverage manufacturing.

Institute of Food Technology American Institute of Chemical Engineering

Holder of two patents

Masters in Chemistry BS in Chemistry Bs and in Chemical Engineering