Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Increasing milk fat and decreasing water content

I want to ask about a food grade material or a product that, when added to the cow milk, it increases the fat percentage and decreases the water percentage.

Thanks for your time.

The only material I can imagine that would adjust the composition of cow's milk as you request is additional fat, such as vegetable oil. Ideally, to avoid adulteration, the additional fat should be butter fat. Thus adding cream or pure butter fat would do what you want, but it would have to be homogenized to properly disperse it. If your purpose is to reduce cost, you would use a less expensive fat if local laws allow that. In some parts of the world, ice cream is made from non-fat dried milk, vegetable oil, sugar and water. Routinely cow's milk is separated into skim and cream and then recombined to make fluid milk of desired fat content, usually lower than whole milk, for cost and nutritional reasons. I have not previously heard of increasing fat content of milk. Various adjusted fat contents are used in making different cheeses, usually by blending cream and skim.

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

J. Peter Clark

How various processed foods are made; ways to improve manufacturing; how to make a new food product.

Employment history: Research Engineer, U.S.Agricultural Research Service, Associate Professor Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Director of Research, Continental Baking Company, President, Epstein Process Engineering, Inc., Vice Presdent Technology, Fluor Daniel, Inc., Consultant to the Process Industries

Organizations: American Institute of Chemical Engineers (Fellow) Institute of Food Technologists, American Association of Cereal Chemists, American Association of Candy Technologists, American Society of Agricultural Engineers,

Publications: Several Encyclopedias (Kirk and Othmer, Chemical Technology; Food Science, Food Technology and Nutrition; Wiley Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology; Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems); five books, two book chapters; numerous journals.

Education: BSChE Notre Dame PhD University of California, Berkeley

Awards: AIChE Food, Pharmaceutical and Bioengineering Division Award 1998

Clients: Major food processing and pharamaceutical companies.