Food Engineering/Manufacturing/How to Get into More Super Markets Nationwide?

Question
Cajun Asian BBQ Sauce
Cajun Asian BBQ Sauce  
Dear Jim,
I wrote you a year ago with my launch of my Cajun Asian Sweet Chili BBQ Sauce. Since my 1 year launch, I am now in 36 super markets and 2 restaurants gaining popularity. I have won 1st place in BBQ Contests, been on TV spots, had 8 pages of full blown color photos with recipes in nationwide magazines for free, had booths in Food EXPO and selling on my website with my pay pal account.

I am also currently seeking out a co-packer because I have produced, bottled 5000 bottles and hired a few folks to assist me in capping, shrink bands and labels, but I need to shift gears here first Then get into more supermarkets nationwide.

My question through this story is once I have this co-packer narrowed down and with a decent start up recognition towards people enjoying the flavors, How can I get into more nationwide supermarkets and grow my business faster? So far I am not paying for any shelf space with any of these supermarkets. My sauce sells easily at an average of $5.69 retail where the supermarket makes a 29% margin selling it to them at $4.00 per bottle.

Needing to know how to get out there?

Thank You.
Keith

Answer
Keith,
Wow!  And congrats! on your success. You have accomplished what many do not. There's just nothing like a good old American success story.

One thing to note in selecting your contract packer. They may be able to assist you in further distribution. My logic is that they are shipping to customers who likely fit the profile of your target market. I am not saying this should definitely be in the contract, but it could help you decide who you want to work with.

Also, did we discuss selling on the internet? We all know that is instant, WORLDWIDE distribution. You'd have to first figure out your packaging and its costs to determine what you'd need to charge, but if that turns out to be reasonable, then maybe that's a pathway too.

I don't know what your feelings are about licensing, but now that you have reached the momentum phase, i.e., you have an established and growing market, your brand itself has value and has become something to sell. As in, you sell the biz to somebody, and you just collect a royalty on every bottle sold forever. If you haven't though about that, please do.

We have now come to that point, Keith, where my expertise is running out. Remember, I am basically a manufacturing guy. You really need to start talking to food brokers and distribution people....who have knowledge and contacts I don't have. I have a colleague in Atlanta, Mr. Frank Perkowski, who could be that right guy for you, but you would have to compensate him for his work. You can call Frank at (770) 643-9081 if you are interested.

Continued success in your endeavors.  

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim Pfister