Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Pasteurizing acidic drinks

Question
QUESTION: Dear Jim,

I was hoping you could give me some advice on pasteurizing from home. I have an iced tea drink which I am bottling in 250ml glass bottles with metal screw caps. The ph of the drink is around 5.5, and I would like to hot fill and bottle it - but am unsure at what temperature and for how long to heat the bottles for?

I have also tried making the drink more acidic using citric acid, but had to add more sugar to counter the sour flavour - is there anything else I could try?

Thank you very much for your time and advice, I really appreciate it.

Best regards

Jack

ANSWER: Hello Jack

Product with pH 5.5 can not be hot filled you will have to use retort process which is a commercial process.

You will have to reformulate your product if ou like you can send me your formula and I may be able to adjust it.

Thanks

Jim

QUESTION: Hi Jim, thanks for your answer.

The formula for 250ml of iced tea is:

240ml water
5ml concentrated apple juice
5g sugar
5g black tea

I have bought some ascorbic acid and will try using this to make it more acidic. At what pH level does it become possible to hot fill?

Best regards

Jack

Answer
You can do hotfill if the pH is lowerer than 4.4.

Why do you have apple juice (very low amount)in the formula can you use apple flavor to flavot the tea that will bring your pH lower and then you can add Ascorbic or Citic acid.

Hope this works for you.

Regards

Jim

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim