Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Chili Mayonnaise Process

Question
Hello Mr. Clark,

I would like to manufacture a mayonnaise that contains chili paste and pureed garlic.

I would use pasteurized liquid eggs.

What would you recommend for a basic process to create a safe shelf stable version, in terms of?

- PH Level, acid type(I would like to use citric acid, but I'm not sure that it is as effective as acetic acid)
- does it need to be heated slightly prior to filling? temperatures? times?
- preservatives? I notice many commercial mayonnaise use Calcium Disodium EDTA(any insight into this would be appreciated)

Thanks,

Daniel

Answer
I suggest you formulate to as low a pH as your flavor can tolerate. It needs to be below 4.6 to be safe, but it should be below 4 and preferably even lower to be shelf stable. Acetic is more effective than citric acid, but citric will work. Mayonnaise is an emulsion and cannot stand much heat. You can test to see what it will tolerate. Hot filling is aimed at sterilizing the container and caps. If the product has a low enough pH, it is self protecting and one need not worry about the container. You should evaluate any preservative that is commonly used in similar products. With chili and garlic, you can probably tolerate the potential flavor impact of some preservatives, such as benzoate or sorbates. You should also measure the water activity and control it if possible to be below 0.85, or as low as the texture and flavor will stand.  

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

J. Peter Clark