Food Engineering/Manufacturing/kombucha

Question
What is a good engineering equation to use when regarding the making of kombucha? An equation that is not a chemical reaction.
Thank you,
Biological Engineering Student

Answer
Hello Kristy

First I want to apologize for the delay in replying to your question. I was out of the country on business and had no to very limited access to my e-mails.

Now as far as Kombucha is concerned I have never worked on development or commercialization of this Tea. All I know is that KOMBUCHA "is a lightly effervescent fermented drink of sweetened black and/or green tea that is used as a functional food. It is produced by fermenting the tea using a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast, or "SCOBY". Personally I believe that it will be very difficult to produce a tea like this in a beverage plant. This does require special processing because of the ingredients and their treatment involved.

Sorry I was not of much help.

Good Luck and if it is OK keep me informed me of your finding.

Best regards

Jim

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim