Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Preservative for chillipaste

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I need to make chilli paste in a large quantity,need to find out what preservative i should use with quantities to keep the chilli paste fresh and without spoiling for a long period.

Reniska

ANSWER: Hello Reniska

It depends on what ingredients are in your chilli paste. If it is 100% chilli paste you can add 0.25 of sodium benzoate to keep it safe from spoiling.

If you do not want to use Benzoate the other option you have is to pasteurize by heating the product and then hot filling your jars and capping it quickly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Jim

QUESTION: Hi,

Thanks for your reply,by the way I am using onions,dried shrimps,coconut oil and chillie pieces for it,so is 0.25 of sodium benzoate enough for it?or any other preservative has to be added?and this 0.25 is for how many kilos of chillie paste?if it is made with 1kg each of onions,chillie pieces and shrimps then what quantity have i got to add?will i have this preservative to buy in Sri Lanka?

Best Regards,
Reniska

Answer
Hello Reniska

You will use 0.25 grams per 100 grams of your product. Or look at this way it will be 0.025% of your formula.

You can search on internet as to where you can get Sodim Benzoate. Just put Sodium Benzoate in the any of the search engine and you will get your answer.

Best regards

Jim

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim