Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Shelf life of dessert plan of experiment

Dear expert Jim,
I am planning to do accelerated shelf life testing for frozen dessert (ingredients: coconut milk, sugar, stabilizer, rice flour). Product has a good packaging with barrier.

Would it be ok if I design accelerated temperatures in chilled and frozen temperatures: 4 degree C, -6 degree C, -16 degree C and control at -40 degree C.

Look forward to having your suggestion.

Hello Tina

It depends where you are located and what are the weather pattern. Also, the other important variable is the package design and material used to make the package. This is because for shipment you will use a freezer which are around 0 to 4 degrees C.

I suggest that you stay with 4 and -6 degrees c and for worst case scenario use -16 degrees C because the product will never see -40 degrees C

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Jim B. Dar
Vice President of Technical and Manufacturing Services
Arizona Beverage Company
1 Arizona Plaza at
60 Crossways Park Drive West, Suite 400
Woodbury, NY 11797
T 516 304 3324, F 516 304- 3374, Cell 908-875-3680
Past-Chair NYIFT& MD IFT.

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

All processing and packaging related questions

Have worked with all possibile processing and packaging systems used in food industry. I have over 30 years experience related to Food and Beverage manufacturing.

Institute of Food Technology American Institute of Chemical Engineering

Holder of two patents

Masters in Chemistry BS in Chemistry Bs and in Chemical Engineering