Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Microwave

Mr. Pfister

I am in the dehydration business, i use regular dehydrators (excalibur) to dehydrate my vegatables but that process is time consuming.
I wanted to use a Microwave to combine with my dehydrators in order to shorten the dehydration process.

Unfortunately i was not able to find which type of Microwave and How to use that microwave for dehydration.
The challenge is NOT go above 50 degrees Celcius in order to keep the flavor and the nutriments of the product.

My questions are:
What type of microwave to use in combination with my dehydrators ?
How to use it?

I was thinking about the Microwave convection oven but i am not sure and i do not know how to use it to be efficient

Thank you

I have done a very small amount of work using microwaves to pasteurize products, but never to dehydrate.  If you search thru Google for commercial microwave equipment you may find one used as a dehydrator.

I also know that Washington state University has done some work, but I have no contact there.

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim Pfister

Food Engineering/Manufacturing, Food Packaging/Distribution, Engineering Beverage Lines, Reducing operating cost of packaging lines while increasing efficiency. Lean Manufacturing. Incorporating new package technology into existing operations. Training staff to achieve smooth transition from "start-up" to full production. Managing complex projects across multi-disciplinary lines. Equipment PreShipment Factory Acceptance testing and Commissioning programs for new equipment.

Employment history: Over thirty-five years of experience. Managed as much as $40MM in concurrent, multi-disciplinary projects, both domestic and international, and have worked with such firms as Campbell Soup, Coca-Cola, Hershey`s, and Nabisco.

Organizations: An author and speaker, as well as a member of the IoPP. Past Chairman of IoPP`s Consultant`s Council and Member of the Packaging Equipment Performance Committee.

Publications: PMMI Solutions `99, Monthly Packaging Tipsheets