Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Iced tea botteling

Hi Jim,

I'm trying to make a ready to drink line of organic iced teas.
I have the blends and the containers ready to go - I tried the hot fill method:
brewing the teas @ 70 degrees C for 30 mins and bottled hot and cap right away.
But was wondering if that's the best and safest way to increase shelf life,  
Or is there a different method I can use?
Would cold brew work in that case? if so how will I go about to pasteurize it?

Thank you!

Hot fill is the way to go.  Equipment prices for aseptic or cold brew are way, way higher.

BTW, when bottle is just filled and capped, make sure it's inverted so the heat sterilizes the cap as well as the container.

You should also cool the filled bottles down to at least 30DegC to keep flavor and color loss minimal.

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim Pfister

Food Engineering/Manufacturing, Food Packaging/Distribution, Engineering Beverage Lines, Reducing operating cost of packaging lines while increasing efficiency. Lean Manufacturing. Incorporating new package technology into existing operations. Training staff to achieve smooth transition from "start-up" to full production. Managing complex projects across multi-disciplinary lines. Equipment PreShipment Factory Acceptance testing and Commissioning programs for new equipment.

Employment history: Over thirty-five years of experience. Managed as much as $40MM in concurrent, multi-disciplinary projects, both domestic and international, and have worked with such firms as Campbell Soup, Coca-Cola, Hershey`s, and Nabisco.

Organizations: An author and speaker, as well as a member of the IoPP. Past Chairman of IoPP`s Consultant`s Council and Member of the Packaging Equipment Performance Committee.

Publications: PMMI Solutions `99, Monthly Packaging Tipsheets