Food Engineering/Manufacturing/Barrier functions in Food manufacturing

I am currently working on a research project in order to find industries, where a barrier function (e.g. for gases, water but also other components like organic solvents, mineral oil, greases, etc.) in production processes or in products / parts of equipment are needed.
As an expert in food manufacturing, do you feel that a barrier function for liquids and gases is needed in food production?
Thank you very much for your help,
Best wishes,

My experience here is limited.  I have seen many food packaging applications using liquid nitrogen injected into a package to displace air ( i.e., oxygen ). Removing O2 inside the package provides longer shelf life and better color retention.

Another use of nitrogen is for blanketing large storage vessels.  For example, a large tank full of orange juice concentrate will have a layer of nitrogen on the top to prevent oxygen attack.

Note, though, that these techniques are only done for food products, and packages, that are susceptible to oxygen attack.  

Food Engineering/Manufacturing

Jim Pfister

Food Engineering/Manufacturing, Food Packaging/Distribution, Engineering Beverage Lines, Reducing operating cost of packaging lines while increasing efficiency. Lean Manufacturing. Incorporating new package technology into existing operations. Training staff to achieve smooth transition from "start-up" to full production. Managing complex projects across multi-disciplinary lines. Equipment PreShipment Factory Acceptance testing and Commissioning programs for new equipment.

Employment history: Over thirty-five years of experience. Managed as much as $40MM in concurrent, multi-disciplinary projects, both domestic and international, and have worked with such firms as Campbell Soup, Coca-Cola, Hershey`s, and Nabisco.

Organizations: An author and speaker, as well as a member of the IoPP. Past Chairman of IoPP`s Consultant`s Council and Member of the Packaging Equipment Performance Committee.

Publications: PMMI Solutions `99, Monthly Packaging Tipsheets