Food Safety Issues/made baby food and forgot to put it fridge overnight, is it safe?

Question
Hi

I made a batch of baby food, a puree of chicken and veggies but forgot to put it in the fridge. It stayed overnight in cool room temperature, and I put it in the fridge in the morning.
Is it safe to feed it to my baby?

Answer
Hi Alice,

You should definitely not serve the pureed chicken and veggies to your baby.  

Both chicken and vegetables are considered potentially hazardous foods (PHF) -- foods capable of supporting the growth of harmful organisms. Potentially hazardous foods must be maintained either below 41 degrees F or above 135 degrees F.  When PHF foods are at room temperature they are within the "Danger Zone" for bacterial growth.  While it is okay to have the food out while you are preparing it, after preparation it should be cooled and stored in the refrigerator where it will be 41 degrees F within 6 hours of preparation.  Since your food did not get cooled within that time frame it should be thrown away.

Infants are especially vulnerable to food borne illness since their immune system is not developed and smaller portions can make them ill.  Because of this you must be extra careful when you are preparing and serving foods to infants and can not take a chance with foods that have been temperature abused.

Sorry, but it's the safe thing to do for your baby.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt