Food Safety Issues/raw pie pumpkins

if a raw pumpkin, that is grown special for pies, has mold on the rind, is it still safe to make a pie with?

Hi Marilyn,

As long as the mold has not permeated into the flesh of the pumpkin inside, it is safe to use the pumpkin for pies.  Wash the mold off the hard outside shell using a vegetable brush and water (no soap but can use a little vinegar in the water) and then proceed to baking the pumpkin.

For a great handout on mold that includes a chart on "when to pitch and when to keep" foods that have mold, please see:

Happy Halloween!

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville