Food Safety Issues/raw pie pumpkins

Question
if a raw pumpkin, that is grown special for pies, has mold on the rind, is it still safe to make a pie with?

Answer
Hi Marilyn,

As long as the mold has not permeated into the flesh of the pumpkin inside, it is safe to use the pumpkin for pies.  Wash the mold off the hard outside shell using a vegetable brush and water (no soap but can use a little vinegar in the water) and then proceed to baking the pumpkin.

For a great handout on mold that includes a chart on "when to pitch and when to keep" foods that have mold, please see:  http://www.fsis.usda.gov/pdf/molds_on_food.pdf

Happy Halloween!

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt