Food Safety Issues/Turkey noodle soup

I froze my leftover turkey and then today i made turkey noodle soup in the crock pot. The only thing is I am wondering if I can freeze the soup since it had turkey in it that had already been frozen.
It would be great to know!
Jess Crockett

Hi Jessica,

Yes, it is safe to refreeze your soup.  Place the soup into shallow containers less than 4 inches deep so that it can freeze quickly.

As long as foods are handled properly -- the original turkey was defrosted in the refrigerator, then cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F and then leftovers refrigerated or frozen -- then it is safe to go through the freeze/thaw/heat/refreeze cycle over and over again.  Of course does not get better going through this cycle, quality-wise, and you do increase your chances for bacterial contamination whenever you go through the "Danger Zone -- 41 to 135 degrees F, but if done properly it can be done.

Most people do not like the quality of foods that have gone through the freeze/thaw/reheat/refreeze cycle repeatedly since it does change the texture and flavor of the food, but again, if handled properly it is safe to do.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville