Food Safety Issues/Canned chicken

Question
I have a can of chicken breast in water that I just found in my pantry. Can I still eat it if the USE by date is 1-22-2012? The can is unharmed and looks fine.

Answer
Hi Teri,

Yes, you can use canned goods past their "best if used by" date if the can appears to be unchanged from when purchased.

The date implies that the manufacturer guarantees the product for quality until that date.  After that date, the quality may begin to change (color, texture, flavor) but this is not unsafe, just not as high of quality as a younger can.

So enjoy your can of chicken!

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt