Food Safety Issues/Out of date olive oil

Question
I have found an unopened bottle of Hotel Chocolat Cocoa and Chilli Olive Oil with a 2008 best before date. Will it be safe to use?

Answer
Hi Marian,

The olive oil is safe to consume but the quality of the oil will probably not be as high as younger oil.  I would both smell and taste the oil to see if it is up to your culinary standards.

"Best if used by date" are for quality and do not have anything to do with safety.  As long as the product has not changed appearance in anyway (color, flavor, etc) it is safe to consume.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt