Food Safety Issues/frozen meat

Question
Hi, I just took out a package of frozen ground beef chuck.  The Sell By date is 09-01-11.  Even though it has been frozen this long, is it safe to consume?  thank you!

Answer
Hi Jeff,

Yes, as long as the meat was continuously frozen, it is safe to use.

Old foods in the freezer are safe for many, many years but the quality of the food will decline with age. Freezer guidelines for the usage of food are based on quality, not safety.  In other words, freezer guidelines will say that ground meat should be used within 3-4 months.  After 4 months, the ground beef will start to have quality changes which may affect the flavor, texture and color of the food,  Again, this is not unsafe, just not as appetizing as younger ground beef. After all, freezer burn is not unsafe to consume, just not very appetizing.

Here's hoping your ground beef is still as good as when purchased.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt