Food Safety Issues/glass jars and vinegar

How do I know if a glass bottle is food safe if it doesn't state it anywhere on the bottle?  I want to make some flavored vinegar.  One bottle that I have has the word vinegar on it.  Will the bottle say not safe for food?

Hi Rhonda,

If your bottles are made of glass then it is safe for food as glass does not react with any food chemicals. Glass can be used with any food type providing it is clean and in sound condition. Glass bottles will not be marked safe for food since all glass is safe for food.  

You need to be concerned about the safety of some metals, paper, plastic and ceramics (pottery) as these can react with food.  In recent years, an international symbol has been developed which many manufacturers are stamping on their containers to indicate they are safe for food. The international symbol for food safe material is a wine glass and a fork.

For containers other than glass, you should look for a stamp with the international symbol indicating it is food safe or wordage telling you "not intended for food use."

Happy Thanksgiving.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville