Food Safety Issues/Mushroom tapenade recipe - not safe for eating now that it's been processed?

Hi Carl,

I'm writing to ask you about the following question that was previously asked of Carol Schlitt:

I have just made a batch of the recipe in question and, having not come across it until once my jars were processing in the hot water bath, I'm wondering if the jars I've processed should be thrown out now.

I'm so bummed about this! Just spent several hours following this recipe - really hoping all that food and effort won't be a total waste.

Thank you,

Do not attempt to preserve this with the hot water bath method. Use a pressure cooker to insure the critical kill step necessary for botulism. It may not be possible to use a pressure cooker without adversely affecting the quality.  I don't like the original recipe either and would consider it too risky for the water bath method. The water bath method is limited to items with unquestioned high acidity and I would add I think all of the ingredients must be high acid.  I just don't see how you can use the water bath method for anything with meat in it including chicken broth without a pressure cooker. Your substitution of a vegetable broth doesn't change anything because low acid vegetable broth is high risk for botulism. I applaud Carol for all the work she did concerning this. My best advice is to freeze it if you want to keep it long term.  

Food Safety Issues

Carl LaFrate

I can answer food safety questions relative to food processing, retail food and food salvage after a catastrophic event such as a hurricane, flood, ammonia leak or fire. Questions related to HACCP, Regulatory, GFSI, SQF, BRC, liability issues, contamination events, pest infestation, pest control methodology,food safety defense, pathogen prevention such as L. Monocytogenes control in food processing and retail, any subject related to food safety including at home issues.

30 years experience as a food safety consultant working for the top food processors, food retailers and insurance companies that write liability policies related to food processing, storage and distribution. My firm employees 6 full time food safety auditors. I work for top law firms throughout the USA and am a staff consultant for Douglas Peterson and Associates, one of the top forensic engineering firms in the world. I also work with Risk Solutions International, a global leader in risk management.

New York State Association for Food Protection, past president, executive board Central Atlantic States Association of Food and Drug Officials

Progressive Grocer Magazine Smart Money Magazine Private Label Buyer Magazine Supermarket News Natural Foods Merchandiser Magazine Food Service Director Magazine NYS Association for Food Protection Annual Report NYS Association for Food Protection Newsletter

Syracuse University, Microbiology/Biology NYS College of Environmental Sciences, Plant and Environmental Biology Cornell University, Food and Dairy Processing

Wm. Hickey Award (2006), NYS Association for Food Protection, for contributions in the field of food safety and sanitation New York State Integrated Pest Management Award (2007), NYS Assoc. for Food Protection, for contributions in the filed of integrated pest management.

Pillsbury, Agri-Mark, Associated Grocers, Beatrice Foods, Cargill, Southern Cold Storage, Quaker, Ben & Jerry’s, Delverde Pasta (Italy), New York Bakery, Cabot Cheese, Hazelwood Farms, General Mills, Price Chopper Supermarkets, P&C Supermarkets, Great American Supermarkets, Tops Markets, Big M Supermarkets, Big Bear Supermarkets, Frito-Lay Distribution Centers, IBP, Excell, Eckerd Drugs, Rite Aid Drug Stores, Fay’s Drugs, Carl’s Drugs, AWI Wholesale Food Distribution, McLane Food Distributors, Golub Food Distribution, many supermarket chains (many include large scale specialty food service operations), Burger King, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, McDonald’s, Darden Foods (Red Lobster, Olive Garden), LSG Skychefs (Germany, US), Glen Mills Schools, Cornell University, Crider Poultry, Caesar’s Palace, The Oneida Indian Nation, Taylor Meat Packing, UCB Packaging Films