Food Safety Issues/pie refrigeration

do pumpkin pies, apple pies and sweet potato pies need to be refrigerated after cooking and cooling?

Hi Sally,

Pumpkin and sweet potato pies should be refrigerated after baking, but fruit pies such as apple, do not need to be refrigerated.

Pumpkin and sweet potato pies need refrigeration since the pH of the pie is in the range that can support the growth of harmful bacteria.  Fruit pies are a lower pH and do not support the growth of harmful bacteria.  Fruit pies, however, can mold if left at room temperature for an extended period of time.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville