Food Safety Issues/soup

How long is ham and potato soup good for in the refrigerator?

The general recommendation for consumer leftovers is to use within 3-4 days or freeze for future use.  

If you were a restaurant, the maximum amount of time the soup could be in the refrigerator would be 7 days, with day 1 being the date of the oldest ingredient.  In other words, if the ham had been refrigerated 3 days before you made the soup, when you made the soup and then refrigerated it, the soup would be on day 3 -- not day 1 -- and you'd have 4 more days of refrigeration before the soup would have to be thrown out.

Hope this is helpful.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville