Food Safety Issues/turkey

We have a 22 lb. turkey thawing in our fridge since last Thursday.  Kept very cold.  It is thawed and still wrapped.  We are having our Thanksgiving on Saturday.  I wondered how long is it ok before being cooked?  Thank you, Mary

Once the turkey is completely thawed, it should be cooked within 2-3 days.  As today is Wednesday and it is now completely thawed,  I would cook the bird on Saturday at the latest.

Since you have time between now and Saturday, you might want to brine the bird which will provide a moist, flavorful turkey that will cook faster due to the increased moisture.  For brining recipes, simply type in "brining a turkey" in a search engine such as Google.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville