Food Safety Issues/turkey

Question
We have a 22 lb. turkey thawing in our fridge since last Thursday.  Kept very cold.  It is thawed and still wrapped.  We are having our Thanksgiving on Saturday.  I wondered how long is it ok before being cooked?  Thank you, Mary

Answer
Hello,

Once the turkey is completely thawed, it should be cooked within 2-3 days.  As today is Wednesday and it is now completely thawed,  I would cook the bird on Saturday at the latest.

Since you have time between now and Saturday, you might want to brine the bird which will provide a moist, flavorful turkey that will cook faster due to the increased moisture.  For brining recipes, simply type in "brining a turkey" in a search engine such as Google.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt