Food Safety Issues/Cooked meat

Question
I cooked pork shoulder in large pot for tamales - pot was still hot so left out over night - 8:00 am the top (looked like the top oil) bubbled - I removed and is ok can I still use or should I throw out

Answer
Hi Lisa,

I hate telling you this (as I love pork tamales) but leaving out a potentially hazardous food -- such as meat, poultry, fish, etc) at room temperature overnight is a recipe for food borne poisoning.  The trouble is you can't tell if the pork is still okay to consume.  You can't tell by taste, smell or sight since the bacteria that cause food borne illness give off no signals they are present.  Leaving a potentially hazardous food within the Danger Zone (41 to 135 degrees F) for more than 6 hours is considered the perfect environment for bacterial growth.

What are your chances that the pork is still okay to consume?  Who knows?  You could leave it out 100 times with no problem and then bam...one time it makes you ill.  Since you can't tell when that one time is going to be, the recommendation is to not take a chance and pitch the meat.

Sorry....but I do hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt