Food Safety Issues/Cooked Squash in Fridge for 2 weeks

Hello there:

I cooked a squash about 2 weeks ago and have it in a dish in the fridge..I meant to freeze it in bags but have not done so yet.  I scraped it all out of the shell and it is just the squash.  I have added nothing to it.

Is it safe to use in cooking, eg making squash soup....
I'm having a party Sat night and don't want to make my guests sick!

Help please and thank you!

Kindest Regards,

Maggie Underhill

Hi Maggie,

The recommendation for cooked vegetables, including squash, is to refrigerate and use within 3-4 days for maximum safety and quality. If you can not use within that time frame they can be safely frozen for future use.

If you are a restaurant in the US, the maximum amount of time you could have cooked vegetables in the refrigerator is 7 days, and then they would have to be thrown out.

Since your squash is beyond both of these recommendations, you should not use the squash for your party Saturday night.  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville