Food Safety Issues/Cooked Squash in Fridge for 2 weeks

Question
Hello there:

I cooked a squash about 2 weeks ago and have it in a dish in the fridge..I meant to freeze it in bags but have not done so yet.  I scraped it all out of the shell and it is just the squash.  I have added nothing to it.

Is it safe to use in cooking, eg making squash soup....
I'm having a party Sat night and don't want to make my guests sick!

Help please and thank you!

Kindest Regards,

Maggie Underhill

Answer
Hi Maggie,

The recommendation for cooked vegetables, including squash, is to refrigerate and use within 3-4 days for maximum safety and quality. If you can not use within that time frame they can be safely frozen for future use.

If you are a restaurant in the US, the maximum amount of time you could have cooked vegetables in the refrigerator is 7 days, and then they would have to be thrown out.

Since your squash is beyond both of these recommendations, you should not use the squash for your party Saturday night.  

Sorry...

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt