Food Safety Issues/deer meat

Question
My son shot a deer and put the meat in the refrigerator immediately. The deer has been ground and still refrigerated. Is it to late to freeze it? Probably killed around 11/25/12 and today it 12/10/12.

Answer
Hi Sandy,

Yes, any ground meat -- not just deer -- should be frozen within 2-3 days of slaughter or purchasing from the grocery store. With the ground meat now being over 15 days in the refrigerator it should definitely not be cooked and consumed.

It is recommended that all deer meat be immediately frozen upon processing and kept solidly frozen for 48 hours before consuming. It is not recommended to consume fresh, never frozen, deer meat. Freezing kills any parasites that may be present in wild meat.

For research-based information on how to handle a deer, I suggest your son read the following:

http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/uk066.pdf

Happy Holidays.

Carol  

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt