Food Safety Issues/Defrosted Vacuum Sealed Pork Ribs

Hello, I have a question for you. I defrosted commercially packaged vacuum sealed pork ribs in the fridge. How long will they last thawed in the refrigerator?

Thank you!

Hi Mark,

The general recommendation for defrosted meat in the refrigerator is to use within 3-5 days after defrost.  Being vacuum sealed does increase the amount of time it can safely be in the refrigerator up to 7 days.  

For safety, I would use the ribs within 7 days of full defrost.

Happy Holidays.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville