Food Safety Issues/Frozen Cooked Chicken

Question
How long is chicken good for that has been cooked, frozen, thawed, and re-heated? My wife heard you should eat it all at once and shouldn't be then refrigerated and eaten again the next day. Is that true?

Answer
Hi Kera,

No, if the reheated chicken is brought up to a minimum of 165 degrees F, served and then cooled within 6 hours to 41 degrees F (actually 2 hour to 70 degrees and then 4 more hours to 41 degrees) then then the chicken could be safety reheated the next day (following the same procedures).

Every time you go through this cycle you increase the chances for temperature abuse and the growth of any harmful bacteria and you also observe quality changes which can make it less appetizing than when first produced.  But if handled properly it is safe to consume.

Happy Holidays.

Carol

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt