Food Safety Issues/Selling homemade food

I have packaged food that i'd like to sell but can't sell from home (I'm still at university and parents aren't keen on the idea). I've tried using google but can't find out if I can perhaps rent a commercial kitchen or something, just for a day a week. Any ideas how much it would cost and if it would be okay to via health regulations? Would I be able to take the food home wih me after using the kitchen or would I have to go straight to the shops and leave it with them?
I'm really greatfull for any help because I'm lost where to start. If you're not sure do you know who I could contact to ask about this? I live in Australia. Thank you so much!

Hi Katy,

As I live in the US and am not familiar with the regulations and rules for starting a business in Australia (they do differ from country to country)  I suggest that you first contact your local health authority for guidance.

A quick internet search resulted in this website that may be of use to you and specifically deals with food safety requirements in Western Australia:

Page 7 of this document lists useful websites:

Department of Health WA
 Food Standards Australia New Zealand
 Food Regulation Secretariat
 NSW Food Authority
 DHS Victoria
 DHS South Australia

I hope this will provide a starting point for you and that one or more of these resources will lead you to the answers you need to start your food business.

Food Safety Issues

Carol Schlitt

I can answer questions on home food safety, sanitation and home food preservation.

I am a former Extension educator, nutrition, wellness and food safety, having retired August 1, 2010. I am a food safety instructor for the Illinois Department of Public Health, a ServSafe Instructor/Proctor and have my own company, Safe & Savory Solutions, Inc -

National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (Past President and current Historian), St. Louis Culinary Society.

BS - University of Illinois MS - Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville